Anti Virus

Unreal Tournament is quite configurable and has a host of ... oddities.

Moderators: MADMAX, Duesy, Admins

sal8050
Staff Sergeant

Anti Virus

Post by sal8050 » Mon Sep 18, 2006 1:49 pm

Does anyone here have problems with ut and has anti virus programs installed? I installed 1 program and the graphics glitch (or I get a frame loss every 2 seconds). I erased that program and purchased another one and the same stupid problem is accuring.

Anyone have similar problems?

Renegadex
FORUM ADMIN

Post by Renegadex » Tue Sep 19, 2006 5:59 pm

Anti-virus programs scan binaries and other types of files (like .DLL files) as the system accesses them.

The scanning process has a VERY high priority, meaning your computer pretty much drops everything else it's doing and scans the file.

This might mean your game "hiccups" while it performs the scan.

Try (temporarily) disabling your anti-virus software before playing a game. In fact, disable as much as you can (even killing Explorer, in Windows) before gaming! You'll free up RAM (preventing pagefile swapping, another big slowdown) and processor time, allowing your game to run faster.

Friendly_Fire
UT SERVER ADMIN

Post by Friendly_Fire » Tue Sep 19, 2006 6:57 pm

Good advice, Ren.

If I leave my SysMech running during UT (which I normally do), I get the 'choppy' packet-loss effect from time to time as the antivirus proggie scans. It only lasts about 10 seconds, but it can be aggravating. Especially when it 'alerts' re: a worm attack or somesuch. Actually closes UT window and disconmnects momentarily. ugh.

My virus scans always come out clean since I switched to SysMech, so if I disable the virus scanner, I'll probably get a lot better performance. I'll try it tonight.
:roll:
"Dissent is the highest form of patriotism" . . . .
-Thomas Jefferson-

Renegadex
FORUM ADMIN

Post by Renegadex » Tue Sep 19, 2006 7:01 pm

Gaming over the Internet with a software firewall active is another way to ensure your ping sucks. Get a hardware firewall if you have a decent 'net connection (they're included with sharing router devices like those from Linksys and D-Link).

If you are still modeming, you're not much of a target, so don't bother.

Friendly_Fire
UT SERVER ADMIN

Post by Friendly_Fire » Tue Sep 19, 2006 7:21 pm

I have cable, (comcast....i know, ugh)

But if I disable the winders firewall during gaming, that'll improve my lousy 150-200 ping? Or was that a silly question, like, a non-sequitur?
"Dissent is the highest form of patriotism" . . . .
-Thomas Jefferson-

Renegadex
FORUM ADMIN

Post by Renegadex » Tue Sep 19, 2006 7:45 pm

Try it and see...

sal8050
Staff Sergeant

hi

Post by sal8050 » Tue Sep 26, 2006 3:40 pm

Renegadex appreciate the advice.

I just found out that it was Zone Alarm which made my game "hicup". When ever I disable the program, and watch the demo screen that pops up when you launch the game, it doesnt hicup anymore. I wonder what it is that zone alarm is doing to cause this?

Thanks

Renegadex
FORUM ADMIN

Re: hi

Post by Renegadex » Tue Sep 26, 2006 6:57 pm

sal8050 wrote:Renegadex appreciate the advice.

I just found out that it was Zone Alarm which made my game "hicup". When ever I disable the program, and watch the demo screen that pops up when you launch the game, it doesnt hicup anymore. I wonder what it is that zone alarm is doing to cause this?

Thanks

It's probably inspecting packets to & from your PC. Just like a virus scanner, it probably operates at a very high priority (higher than UT runs, by default). Every time it wakes up to do this, it "steals" some time from the game...and thus the hiccup.

Thunder-GOLD
Commander In Chief

Re: hi

Post by Thunder-GOLD » Tue Sep 26, 2006 7:46 pm

sal8050 wrote:Renegadex appreciate the advice.

Thanks

yeah if you don't set up it correctly then you will have that problem with ZA. I use it and I had the same problem. what is your version?

the last version has a new opcion for gamers (GAME MODE) so the zone alarm will ignore all activities, and the software will warn you that it isn't secure but we know that we are doing. so don't worry turn it on (I'm guessing that you got the last version).

Now about Anti-virus I prefer NOD32. I love this anti-virus BAR|Reo did recommend me it long time ago.
UT is dead? the penguins said it. Is it possible?

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous » Wed Sep 27, 2006 5:38 am

1 word.

Kaspersky

Thunder-GOLD
Commander In Chief

Post by Thunder-GOLD » Mon Oct 02, 2006 11:52 am

Acid wrote:1 word.

Kaspersky

http://www.nsaneproductions.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=4374

two words

False alarms

hehehe

But Kas is good. I think that both are good. I like Nod32 because you can run it with an old pc.

sal8050
Staff Sergeant

Post by sal8050 » Mon Oct 09, 2006 8:26 pm

hmmm, game mode? whats that? I usualy keep zone alarm up to date. I dont see a game mode anywhere :P

Sal

Renegadex
FORUM ADMIN

Post by Renegadex » Mon Oct 09, 2006 8:37 pm

Game mode: shut it down. :twisted:

abc
Brigadier General

Post by abc » Mon Oct 09, 2006 8:46 pm

in the task bar right click the ZA icon then click game mode.

sal8050
Staff Sergeant

Post by sal8050 » Mon Oct 09, 2006 8:52 pm

Alright, I just turned on game mode...but It still isn't working.
The game still hiccups when playing ut. This stinks.

Renegadex
FORUM ADMIN

Post by Renegadex » Tue Oct 10, 2006 5:55 pm

sal8050 wrote:Alright, I just turned on game mode...but It still isn't working.

Shut off EVEYRTHING ELSE THAT'S RUNNING IN THE BACKGROUND and see if that makes a difference.

If not, defrag your hard drive(s).

Your CPU might be overheating. Try opening up the case, cleaning out your CPU fan/cooler, etc.

Thunder-GOLD
Commander In Chief

Post by Thunder-GOLD » Tue Oct 10, 2006 6:24 pm

Renegadex wrote:
sal8050 wrote:Alright, I just turned on game mode...but It still isn't working.

Shut off EVEYRTHING ELSE THAT'S RUNNING IN THE BACKGROUND and see if that makes a difference.

If not, defrag your hard drive(s).

Your CPU might be overheating. Try opening up the case, cleaning out your CPU fan/cooler, etc.

if Ren's recommendations don't help you

!!!....... buy a new pc. get a new connection.... if that don't help. then shoot yourself. lol jk

sal8050
Staff Sergeant

Post by sal8050 » Sat Oct 14, 2006 4:27 pm

I dont know about the over heating...I can play Civ 4 and World of Warcraft with the best video settings and everything runs fine.

Sal

Renegadex
FORUM ADMIN

Post by Renegadex » Sun Oct 15, 2006 5:33 am

sal8050 wrote:I dont know about the over heating...I can play Civ 4 and World of Warcraft with the best video settings and everything runs fine.

Sal

Probably not overheating then. Which UT video driver are you using? (try switching them?) Updated video drivers lately?

gogoejoe
Private

Quick Heal

Post by gogoejoe » Mon Aug 24, 2009 1:17 am

According to me and as per my experience usually Quick Heal Antivirus programme is the best because it detects mostly all the Viruses and delete that viruses and in Quick Heal so much of useful features for protecting the computer.

Quick Heal is really a nice antivirus programme i used this prog from last 2 years and because of quick heal my PC run speedily.

BAR|BeerThePenguin
ZOMG MASTER POSTER

Post by BAR|BeerThePenguin » Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:27 am

What's a virus? :lol:
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and let people think you are
a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt." -- Mark Twain
" " -- Charlie Chaplin
" " -- Harpo Marx
" " -- Marcel Marceau

j@Y666**Qc.ca**
Commander In Chief

Post by j@Y666**Qc.ca** » Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:57 am

its what u installed in ur computer instead of windows.

Se7eN
HALEYS ADMIN

Post by Se7eN » Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:41 pm

I did the test with a crapload of anti-viruses. I had to format my pc this one time and I decided that before I would, I'd bloat my PC with a crapload of viruses and crap.

I then installed each antivirus I had (kapersky, symantec, avg, avast, kapersky, you name it) - and I scanned my box with each anti-virus, making sure to uninstall the AV before installing another.

AVG, norton symantec, kapersky, - each anti-virus I used, let a crapload of viruses go undetected. How do I know? Nod32 caught the ones that the other anti-viruses didn't.

If you ask me that's about the best test you can do on your pc to see which anti-virus works best. Result: Nod32 comes out on top.

Nod32 isn't free - but it can be. It also uses a lot less ressources than most anti-viruses. My nod32 process is running at 4MB. It's lightweight, fast, and it catches a whole lot more than all these others I've tried.

If you want nod32 - go to http://www.eset.com/download/index.php - click on the "I have already purchased Eset security software - take me to my download" - then download the appropriate client for your operating system.

After that's downloaded and installed: you can go to google and type: "nod32 password" without quotations. At this point you don't even have to load the page to get the username and info - they will pop up on google's result page. Simply copy and paste the un and pw - enter it in your Nod32 AV - then hit the update button.

Voila, you now have one of the better anti-virus softwares free of charge.

PS: you'll need a new password once every 2 months or so, just google "nod32 password" and you're set. MAKE SURE YOU USE THE PASSWORDS THAT START WITH "EAV" and not "TRIAL"

Here's a un and pw to start off, it will update your nod32 to the current anti-virus database.

UN: EAV-20590581
PW: 873ces452e
(Expires when the new usernames and passwords are released, nod32 will let you know)

Enjoy.
R.I.P UT

Acid
Brigadier General

Post by Acid » Fri Aug 28, 2009 6:36 pm

No need for google, just go to the following link where they update serials pretty much every day. http://www.nod321.com/

But I agree, I have tried em all, and tried em all again. Eset is hands down the best I have ever used.

Se7eN
HALEYS ADMIN

Post by Se7eN » Sat Aug 29, 2009 4:39 pm

:P
R.I.P UT

Se7eN
HALEYS ADMIN

Post by Se7eN » Sat Aug 29, 2009 6:48 pm

Tip: If any of you have avast and are thinking of switching to Nod32 - YOU MUST USE THE UNINSTALLER - DO NOT USE THE CONTROL PANEL TO REMOVE AVAST!

If you don't you'll be left with a SHITTON of avast files everywhere on your pc, and they are a PITA to manually remove.

Trust me on this one :P

http://www.avast.com/eng/avast-uninstall-utility.html
R.I.P UT

Acid
Brigadier General

Post by Acid » Sat Aug 29, 2009 8:46 pm

Another thing is if you dont want to be bothered with hunting down serials there is an app called NodEnabler that will automatically update your keys from nod321.com as needed. Thats the method I use.

Se7eN
HALEYS ADMIN

Post by Se7eN » Sun Aug 30, 2009 4:02 am

Oo, vn. I'll give that a try, ty.
R.I.P UT

DarkLegacy
General

Post by DarkLegacy » Fri Sep 04, 2009 2:46 am

I never had any issues when using an AV for Unreal Tournament. I did have issues in more modern games like UT III, Team Fortress 2, CoD WaW, etc. I caught wind of Norton Antivirus Gaming Edition though on a PC Enthusiast forum. I based my purchase on the feedback of many other gamers who swear by it. Most consider it the best AV program out there. You can get it from Amazon for cheap.

I've been using it for a month & I can say that all of the issues I was having with other AV's do not occur with the Norton AV. It will not pop up prompts while in a game. It won't run a scan, etc. There is also a very noticeable improvement in the resources it uses when it is in use.

http://www.amazon.com/Norton-Antivirus- ... 86&sr=8-11

Here is a review of it.

http://www.impulsegamer.com/pcnortonant ... ition.html

-DarkLegacy

Acid
Brigadier General

Post by Acid » Fri Sep 04, 2009 1:47 pm

There really isnt anything in the game edition that isnt in NIS 2009. Other than having a specific section of the menu for "game settings"it is pretty much the same as the standard 2009 AV from Symantec with a little marketing hype added in.

Norton just has gotten much better over the last few years. Alot of the bloat is gone, and they are now competing with AV products such as Nod32 with the low level of resources used to run it which both are at around 6mb when idle. The reviews are good but it isnt really based on it being the game edition, the reviews are good all around for Norton 2009.

DarkLegacy
General

Post by DarkLegacy » Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:06 pm

NOD32 was brought up as well but it started to much of a debate between the users for me to give it a shot. Some said that it was great while others slammed it for having security issues & a very lackluster malware detection. I'm no software pro by a long shot lol. Strictly hardware. The gaming edition of Norton AV was the more popular choice so I went with it.

-DarkLegacy

Acid
Brigadier General

Post by Acid » Sat Sep 05, 2009 2:36 pm

Im not saying its not good but there is alot of marketing mumbo jumbo with it, kind of like that NIC card that was supposed to drop your ping like 50 ms or whatever it was.

I am pretty sure I read that every single feature available in the gamer edition is available in the standard but they are easier to control where the standard you would have to change the settings for alerts and such in the menus.

Se7eN
HALEYS ADMIN

Post by Se7eN » Thu Nov 26, 2009 12:25 am

Some said that it was great while others slammed it for having security issues & a very lackluster malware detection

anti-VIRUS.

Going entirely on an AV's reputation isn't all that solid. If you read my post above, you'll see that nod32 caught a crapload of viruses that all the other AV's didn't. To me, that makes it the best AV. So what if it doesn't get spyware and malware? Get good programs that do their job right: spybot search and destroy for spyware, malwarebytes for malware, and nod32 for viruses. Top that with a router, and you're set. The rest is up to the user to be wise about what he/she does on the pc. I prefer having a program that does 1 job, but does it properly, than having a program that does multiple jobs, but does them half-assed.
R.I.P UT

Acid
Brigadier General

Post by Acid » Thu Nov 26, 2009 1:58 am

Eset Security Suite works like a charm. Not sure where it said it was subpar in spy/malware detection but I dont really put too much faith in reviews. There arent many unbiased review sites since they all have their hands in a cookie jar somewhere.

Mackfantasy
Private

Post by Mackfantasy » Fri Oct 22, 2010 5:05 am

Hey use AVG and Hitmanpro > your computer will be safe :)

BAR|BeerThePenguin
ZOMG MASTER POSTER

Post by BAR|BeerThePenguin » Sun Oct 24, 2010 7:59 am

I have NO clue still as to what a virus is...?
" " -- Charlie Chaplin
" " -- Harpo Marx
" " -- Marcel Marceau

MADMAX
HALEYS AMBASSADOR

Post by MADMAX » Sun Oct 24, 2010 6:38 pm

FROFL! Pengy.

Eset FTW!
"~HDK][Silver-Surfer~ i dont spam and your GONNA give me respect lamer"

BAR|BeerThePenguin
ZOMG MASTER POSTER

Post by BAR|BeerThePenguin » Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:45 am

Sorry. Been hearing about virii for almost 20 years. Professionally.

I am still looking for one.

I had old NT boxes at a work place that rebooted with a floppy inserted for word documents before we replaced them. Had all kinds of weirdness with other .... well "windoze" boxes .... I am still looking for one at home. My home...
" " -- Charlie Chaplin
" " -- Harpo Marx
" " -- Marcel Marceau

Evil_Priest
Drama Queen

Post by Evil_Priest » Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:49 pm

I watch what I download, have I had problems with a virus, NEVER.

Mullet
Staff Sergeant

Post by Mullet » Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:09 pm

BAR|BeerThePenguin wrote:Sorry. Been hearing about virii for almost 20 years. Professionally.

I am still looking for one.

I had old NT boxes at a work place that rebooted with a floppy inserted for word documents before we replaced them. Had all kinds of weirdness with other .... well "windoze" boxes .... I am still looking for one at home. My home...

Pengy, it is easy: install ClamAV and scan your mbox's attachments. :) I did that and was (not) surprised to find hundreds in my mbox archives. Of course they had no effect on me because I don't use Winblows, either.
RaTeD_X wrote:sometimes auto fire can be insane

RaTeD_X wrote:FYI , i see through walls

siddons58

Post by siddons58 » Thu May 12, 2011 8:46 am

If I departure my SysMech locomotion during UT (which I unremarkably do), I get the 'choppy' packet-loss effect from time to abstraction as the antivirus proggie scans. It only lasts some 10 seconds, but it can be exasperating. Especially when it 'alerts' re: a insect act or somesuch. Actually closes UT window and disconmnects momently. ugh.

My virus scans ever originate out unqualified since I switched to SysMech, so if I incapacitate the virus scanner, I'll probably get a lot gambler action. I'll try it tonight.

Dukesing

Post by Dukesing » Thu May 26, 2011 1:19 am

Antivirus software for home or business. The world's fastest antivirus updates. Free virus scan and antivirus trial downloads.

vitiligo treatment
Eczema treatmen

siddle49

Post by siddle49 » Sat Jun 11, 2011 12:54 am

Does anyone here feature problems with ut and has opposed virus programs installed? I installed 1 show and the graphics glitch (or I get a phrase deprivation every 2 seconds). I erased that syllabus and purchased another one and the duplicate goosy job is accuring.